Coconut Diaries: Jamaican Rice And Peas (Sunday Dinner)


Rice And Peas for Sunday dinner is a tradition in Jamaica. While growing up, I looked forward all week to Sunday dinner.☺

Islanders who go to church on Sunday mornings normally wake up early, and make sure dinner is almost complete, so after church, dinner will be on the table in little time.

Sunday dinner here is mainly about the Rice And Peas. The ingredients include coconut milk, ginger, scallion, thyme, garlic, sugar... All the things that keep you going back into that pot!

While growing up, it was kind of nice knowing that every Sunday, the family living beside me, and others near and far were cooking and eating the same thing. I no longer eat it every Sunday, but I look forward to smelling the flavours coming from my neighbours' pots☺

Here is the recipe if you would like to try it... 

Ingredients
2 cups red peas/red kidney beans (boiled)
2 1/2 cups rice
2 cups coconut milk
1 1/2 cup water (preferably water from boiling the peas/beans)
3 tbs ginger powder
4 tbs scallion (chopped)
4 tbs thyme leaves
4 tbs garlic  (chopped)
2 tbs coconut oil 
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
4 tbs sweet pepper (chopped)

Method
Combine coconut milk and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Add ginger powder, scallion, thyme leaves, garlic, sugar, sweet pepper and salt. And stir well. Add rice and combine properly. Cover pot and continue cooking on low flame until the rice grains are tender.

Enjoy!

Happy Wednesday♥

Love,
Summer


13 comments

  1. I REALLY need to try this.....it sounds wonderful.. Enjoy your day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this recipe sounds interesting - when you said Peas in the title I thought you meant green peas - English Peas which I only like barely cooked - I might give this one a try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't lovely that so many childhood memories centre around food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Sounds delicious. We call them just beans here. Peas are green to us. hahaha.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice recipe, Summer, thanks for sharing. Here in the U.S. Southwest, the dish is beans and rice but not cooked with coconut milk...I'm not particularly fond of beans/rice, but your coconut version sounds just right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this. But I love to hear about traditions from other countries.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this recipe it sounds delicious. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend from Jamaica makes this and the most delicious jerk chicken ever!! Really, anything she makes is incredibly delicious. Love the Jamaican flavors!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, this recipe sounds wonderful. I must give this a try. Speaking of cooking before going to church on Sunday mornings so that when you get home dinner is served in a timely manner...I do the same thing. Most often I began my Sunday dinner prep. on Saturday afternoon. My three daughters, soninloves and 5 grands eats dinner with me on Sunday's after church. Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have an island dinner with you! Looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete