Island Mystery: River Creatures


{Island Mystery is a series in which I give you clues about the mysterious island paradise that I am living on.}
We have miles of beautiful rivers on this island. They are used for water supply, rafting, fishing and many more activities. And crabs live on the banks of most of these rivers.

Also, there are a lot of folktales about rivers here on the island. Mostly of mermaids and other water creatures. 

One night when I was in my teens, I decided to follow some friends and family to catch crabs.

I was just in it for the adventure. I didn't plan to go into the water and I do not eat crabs. I was also told that no one would need to go into the water, as the crabs would be on the riverbank, and that is where we would be walking.

We journeyed until we got to a point where the riverbank was just too bushy to walk on any further. It was necessary at that point to cross the river. A gentleman offered to carry me across the water. 

I didn't have successful swimming classes before that night. And I didn't make that really clear to the gentleman.

Onto his back I jumped, and he started going across the deep dark river. Then suddenly, I felt the man tumbling over and I lost my grip of him! The poor guy tumbled over a tree lying in the water, which he thought was a creature from a folktale! 

He swam to safety and left me in the middle of the dark river (about 7 feet deep, and me 5' 1" ), almost in the middle of the night, screaming louder than an opera performer can sing.  

While my sister yelled for someone to help me, everybody else was confused because it looked like I could swim.

Ever heard of a non- swimmer swimming backstroke? That's exactly what happened!!! Don't ask me how! It was the first time in my life that I have ever swam successfully, and it happened backstroke style! Yup... Right back to safety- screaming, kicking and scared out of my wits☺

Happy Wednesday♥♥

Love,
Summer

23 comments

  1. Cute story. I cant swim either but I can float on my back and kick my way to land. Is that a back stroke? Haha. I can also dog paddle a little. In panic mode, id probably drown. Glad you got out safe.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a very tropical place summer. I have no idea where you are. That sounds like a very scary situation you were in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, what a beautiful spot, lovely photo. I am glad there was a happy ending to your story, lots can happen when in the panic mode. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't swim, can't float - what a story to remember - I haven't a clue where you are! has anyone guessed correctly I wonder - I have had several ideas but doubt any are right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your visit to LAWN TEA, and for the link to your delightful blog! Snakes and tales and puppy-dog-legs---what's not to love?

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I have that in common with you! I never learned to swim even though we had an in-ground pool for many years. I thought I was drowning in 4 feet of water one time when our kids were little, so ever since then have not liked water! LOL I don't know where you live, but certainly looks like Paradise to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your living area sounds so beautiful.. Definitely a paradise... Can't swim either.. Can kick around enough to stay a float, but , if I got scared I would definitely drown..ha Enjoying your blog and really curious , where you live.lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an ordeal. I guess if we get scared enough, our instincts kick in. Your area sounds lovely and so tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow miraculous survival story so happy you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a story! You must have been terrified. I couldn't swim for ages, until one day I just decided to start swimming -- weird how things like that can work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the blackness, I think I'd have had a stroke!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was quite some terrifying thing that happened to you. I love to swim and I took lessons beginning with the beginner all the way up to life saving. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh good grief!
    what a frightening experience!!!
    and since you went into the backstroke i'm glad you were going TOWARD shore!
    and i'm thinking because of the many rivers clue... you're in western samoa? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Summer, thank you for dropping by our blog! Love your blog with so many beautiful pictures. We'll come back again... oh we'll try to make your dumplings. That sounds yummy!

    Momo, Pinot & mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a scary experience ... but glad it ended ok.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry don't have a guess to where you were.
    I used to swim all the time. Growing up I lived across the street from the town pool and lived there all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yikes! THAT would be terrifying. Thank goodness you learned to swim right quick!

    So, I have to ask --- do you swim now?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Summer, what a scary moment for you! So glad your backstroke was a success {{smiles}} And oh my, where you live sounds heavenly.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. That must have been scary. My mom tossed me into the pool when I was about a year and half (with proper precautions:-) and I've been swimming ever since.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nope, I have no idea where you are. What a scary experience for you. So are you afraid of water after the incident? Thank God you were safe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness sweet friend ! I'm so glad you made it by the Grace of God. HE makes it all possible, as he has my dear family like you say.
    I'm good about swimming under water somehow; but not good in the surface... who knows.
    I hope you're not afraid of the water now.
    Blessings,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a fabulous story but I'll bet it didn't feel so fab at the time! Not sure where your island is but it certainly is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete